Houseplants can really lighten up a space. They can turn a house into a home and bring a really nice feel to your place. However, if you have dogs, you need to be cautious of the houseplants you keep around as there are many houseplants that are toxic to dogs.
Houseplants that are Toxic to Dogs
Lilies are toxic to both dogs and cats with different varieties affecting each. The Peace Lily is toxic to dogs and cats, and both Stargazer and Easter Lilies are toxic to cats and could be fatal. As for the Peace Lily? Both dogs and cats may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, trouble swallowing, and/or irritated lips and tongue.
Aloe vera is amazing for humans. It’s perfect for sunburns and irritated skin. However, it should be kept away from dogs as it can harm their digestive systems.
Ivy can be a beautiful plant to have around and is quite common. Unfortunately, it can lead to serious problems with dogs including a coma or paralysis. More common are dogs developing a rash or breathing problems after ingesting.
Despite what you call it (Jade Tree, Dwarf Rubber Plant, Chinese Rubber Plant, etc.), this plant is could cause your dog to exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, incoordination (ataxia), a slow heart rate (bradycardia) and/or depression.
Also known as Tropic Snow, the Dumb Cane plant is poisonous to both dogs and cats. If a dog eats the leaves he/she may experience difficulty in swallowing, vomiting, and increased salivation. In some cases, it can even cause breathing difficulties or be fatal.
Taro, or Elephant Ears (among other names), can cause difficulty with salivating or swallowing for dogs who eat it.
Devil’s Ivy has a fitting name for pets. It’s toxic to dogs and cats and can cause oral issues if ingested. Possible problems include vomiting, increased salivation and swallowing difficulties.
Despite its’ beauty, this flower is among the common houseplants that are toxic to dogs (and cats). In addition to causing vomiting and diarrhea, it can result in death in extreme cases.
Despite the innocent look of this houseplant, it can cause rashes, skin irritation, diarrhea, and vomiting.
The entirety of this plant is toxic to dogs. Worst case scenario if your dog ingests the plant? Liver failure. More common side effects include diarrhea and vomiting.